Submit a project
All requests for evaluation of new research projects, as well as renewals, amendments, closures and unanticipated issues/adverse event reports must be submitted using the online platform.
To access the platform, click on the following link:
Below are some guidelines to help you navigate the platform
- To request an evaluation of a new project, click on the icon NEW SUBMISSION, then complete form A and follow the instructions.
- To request a modification, renewal, or to fill out the form “end of project report”, select the project from within your list of projects. Then click on the icon corresponding to the request that you want to make; the appropriate form (M, R or report of end of project ) will be added to the list of events pertaining to your project. By clicking on SEE THE FORM icon, you will be able to access it and enter the desired information.
Please note that the platform has not yet been translated into English.
In closing, we invite you to inform us, as soon as possible, of any problems that you encountered while using the platform, so that we can fix them quickly.
Schedule for Submission of Projects
The CRIR’s Institution REB’s activities are scheduled an activity calendar:
- calendar intra-CRIR’s : is intended for projects only taking part in at least one of the CRIR institutions ;
The REB’s meetings dates on both calendars are the same but the submission dates differ depending on the type of project presented.
In order to facilitate the evaluation process, the following forms have been created by the REB and are available directly on the Web Interface.
Application of the New Reference Framework for Public Institutions in the Health and Social Services Network for Authorization of Research Taking Place in More than One Institution (Multi-Centre Research) (Cadre de référence des établissements publics du réseau de la santé et des services sociaux pour l’autorisation d’une recherche menée dans plus d’un établissement)
Since February 1, 2015, multi-centre projects taking place in CRIR institutions or regional partner institutions can be evaluated according to one of the two following evaluation methods, depending on the location of the project.
- If the multi-site project takes place only in CRIR partner institutions, the evaluation procedure for the project remains the same; applicants should follow the rules and regulations governing the REB of the CRIR institutions.
- If the multi-site project takes place in at least one CRIR institution and at least one institution external to our partner institutions, then the project must be evaluated according to the new procedure put into place by the Public Institutions Reference Framework for the Health and Social Services Networkfor authorization of multi-centre research.
The underlying principle of this new Reference Framework for public institutions in the health and social services network for authorization of multi-centre research is that one ethics review will be conducted by the REB of record in Quebec (établissement du RSSS). Thus, a single REB will do the ethical analysis of multi-centre projects for all the public health institutions that agree to participate.
SELECTION of the Evaluating REB
The selection of the evaluating REB is made by the researcher requesting the ethical evaluation of their research project, using the following criteria:
- The first criterion that the researcher must consider is their status within one or more of the RSSS (Health and social services network) institutions;
- The researcher will have their research project evaluated by the REB of the institution that granted them researcher status if participants are recruited from that institution;
- If not, the researcher will have their project evaluated by the REB of one of the institutions from which participants are recruited;
- If there is no REB either at any of the institutions where participants are recruited, or at any of the institutions where the researcher has been grated researcher status, then the central REB (CCÉR) will evaluate the project.
NOTA BENE : The REB of the CRIR institutions will act de facto as the evaluating REB for researchers of CRIR if the recruitment of participants will be done in at least one CRIR institution, one of their partner institutions.
SUBMISSION OF A REQUEST TO AN REB FOR EVALUATION
Researchers should submit their projects for REB evaluation according to the deadlines established by the Committee, using the request for evaluation form. As well, as the usual documentation ( esearch project description, consent form, recruitment letter, etc.), the request for evaluation must also be accompanied by the following documents:
- A list of all the institutions of the RSSS that the researcher is requesting to take part in their project, and all the relevant information regarding these local populations and conditions that may affect the assessment of ethical acceptability.
- Proof of scientific evaluation and approval, or steps in progress taken by the researcher for this purpose.
Nota Bene: If the REB of the CRIR is the ethics evaluator, the researcher must submit the research project using the online platform and form A.
PROCEDURE AND EVALUATION TIMEFRAMES
Following accepting to act as the REB evaluator, the REB has 30 days in which to evaluate the project. However, this time period is initiated only when a recognized scientific evaluation and approval is on file. Thus the 30 day period begins only when the researcher has provided the REB with evidence that the scientific assessment was completed and the project was approved .
Following the evaluation of the project by the REB, they must send their comments to the researcher within 5 working days.
Following the final reception of the amended and completed documents of the researcher, the REB’s decision must be made within 5 working days. This letter must :
- Confirm that the REB has verified that the project has undergone a scientific evaluation and approval
- Give the result of the ethical review that has been done